HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY PET/CT EXAM?
In order to get precise images, you will be provided with detailed information on how to prepare yourself for your PET/CT scan. You will receive the instructions when you or your referring physician schedule the appointment. Please follow them carefully.
The evening before your appointment, you will receive a call from our office staff that will remind you of your appointment time and answer any questions you may have.
Please note that the radiopharmaceutical that you will be given is going to be made especially for you and flown from Seattle to Anchorage in the morning of the day of your appointment, therefore, it is very important that you keep your appointment and follow patient prep instructions very closely.
If you need to cancel your appointment, please let us know at least 24 hours before your scheduled time.
24 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR EXAM (DAY BEFORE):
• Do not engage in strenuous exercise including: running, weight lifting, housework, snow removal.
• Follow a high protein, low carbohydrate diet
• Drink plenty of water
• No chewing gum
• Please refrain from smoking & nicotine products. At least 6 hours prior to exam.
• All meats (un-breaded)
• Seafood (un-breaded)
• Eggs, tofu, unsweetened peanut butter
• Butter, Margarine, oil, mayonnaise, vinegar
• Vegetables: Non-starchy, green beans, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, lettuce, celery, mushrooms, bell peppers
FOODS NOT ALLOWED:
• Breads, pastries, cereal, pasta, muffins, sugar, candy
• Potatoes, rice, pizza, pretzels, chips
• All Fruit: tomatoes, fruit juices, jams, jellies
• Honey, Syrup, dressings, gravies
• Soft drinks, milk, soy milk, tonic water, flavored water
• Alcohol, energy & sport drinks
• Starchy vegetables: corn, lima beans, soy beans, peas, yams, carrots
ON THE DAY OF YOUR EXAM:
• NO Food, WATER ONLY!
• Diabetic Patients: Please take any oral medications at least 4 hours prior to your exam. Subcutaneous insulin should be given no later than 2 hours before your exam.
WHAT TO EXPECT THE DAY OF YOUR EXAM:
When you arrive you will check in at the front desk. A tech will then escort you to a quiet room to begin your study. At that time you will be injected with a radioisotope and will be asked to relax quietly for approximately 1 hour. After this period, you will be moved to the scan room to complete the study. The scan is completed in segments lasting about 20 minutes with a total procedure time of approximately two hours.
AFTER YOUR EXAM
You can eat, drink and resume your normal activities after your exam is completed.
You will need to minimize contact with pregnant women and children for 6-8 hours after exam if finished.
Results will be read by our radiologist and a report will be faxed to your physician’s office within 24-48 hours.
Feel free to call us at 222-4624 (Anchorage) or 746-4646 (Wasilla) with any questions you may have.